The Burrowes Mansion Museum is a historic home built in approximately 1723 by John Bowne III and became known as the Burrowes Mansion when it was purchased by John “Corn King” Burrowes in 1769. The Burrowes Mansion is most famous for being the site of an early morning raid in 1778 by Tories intent on capturing an American Patriot, Major John Burrowes, Jr. Please visit the Burrowes Mansion history page for more about the event, including the heroic action of his young wife, Margaret.
The Mansion was continuously occupied throughout the centuries as a home and, around 1850, as a hotel. The final family to own it was the Brown family, who purchased the building in 1904. They owned it until 1974, when the Borough of Matawan purchased it for use as a museum. Operations of the Burrowes Mansion Museum are overseen by the Matawan Historical Society, a non-profit organization founded in 1969.
The Burrowes Mansion Museum Today
The Burrowes Mansion Museum is a local history museum operated by the Matawan Historical Society. The museum contains period rooms, antiques (including eighteenth and nineteenth century furniture), and local memorabilia. Special mini-displays and exhibits highlighting a collection of historical events are occasionally on display. The building is listed on the National Registry of Historic Buildings.
The museum is open to the public on the first and third Sundays of the month from April through October from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Special tours for groups or school classes are possible by making advance arrangements. Please see our VISIT page for more information about planning your trip to the “enchanted castle”.